The Basics of Process Mapping, 2nd Edition by Robert Damelio
- Author: Robert Damelio
- eBook title: The Basics of Process Mapping, 2nd Edition
- Category: Business & Money
- Subcategory: Management & Leadership
- ISBN: 1563273764
- ISBN13: 978-1563273766
- Size PDF: 1492 kb
- Size eBPUB: 1664 kb
- Other Formats: azf odf lit pdf ibooks mobi cb7
- Rating: 4.1 ✫
- Votes: 479
- 1664 downloads at 19 mb/s
- 1492 downloads at 22 mb/s
The bestselling first edition of this influential resource has been incorporated into the curriculum at forward thinking colleges and universities, a leading vocational technical institute, many in-house corporate continuous improvement approaches, and the United Nations’ headquarters.
Providing a complete and accessible introduction to process maps, The Basics of Process Mapping, Second Edition raises the bar on what constitutes the basics. Thoroughly revised and updated to keep pace with recent developments, it explains how relationship maps, cross-functional process maps (swimlane diagrams), and flowcharts can be used as a set to provide different views of work.
New in the Second Edition:
- Four new chapters and 75 new graphics
- An introduction to the concepts of flow and waste and how both appear in knowledge work or business processes
- A set of measures for flow and waste
- A discussion of problematic features of knowledge work and business processes that act as barriers to flow
- Seven principles* and 29 guidelines for improving the flow of knowledge work
- A detailed (actual) case study that shows how one organization applied the principles and guidelines to reduce lead time from an average of 28 days to 4 days
Unlike "tool books" or "pocket guides" that focus on discrete tools in isolation, this text use a single comprehensive service work example that integrates all three maps, and illustrates the insights they provide when applied as a set. It contains how to procedures for creating each type of map, and includes clear-cut guidance for determining when each type of map is most appropriate. The well-rounded understanding provided in these pages will allow readers to effectively apply all three types of maps to make work visible at the organization, process, and job/performer levels.
*The Seven principles are integrated into Version 3 of the body of knowledge used for Lean certification by the ASQ/AME/SME/SHINGO Lean Alliance. This is the first publication of those principles and guidelines.