Hiking the Road to Ruins: Day Trips and Camping Adventures to Iron Mines, Old Military Sites, and Things Abandoned in the New York City Area ... and Beyond by Mr. David A. Steinberg
- Author: Mr. David A. Steinberg
- eBook title: Hiking the Road to Ruins: Day Trips and Camping Adventures to Iron Mines, Old Military Sites, and Things Abandoned in the New York City Area ... and Beyond
- Category: Sports & Outdoors
- Subcategory: Individual Sports
- ISBN: 0813540356
- ISBN13: 978-0813540351
- Size PDF: 1498 kb
- Size eBPUB: 1606 kb
- Other Formats: azf odf lit pdf ibooks mobi cb7
- Rating: 3.8 ✫
- Votes: 461
- 1606 downloads at 19 mb/s
Each chapter contains detailed directions, a hand-drawn map, suggestions for the optimal time and season to visit, and GPS coordinates to specific sites. Bringing fifteen years of experience as a leader of hikes, Steinberg leaves no part of the trip unplanned. He even suggests ideal conditions for the outing. An overcast day, for instance, sets up the haunted atmosphere appropriate for visiting a water tower in Mountainside, New Jersey, that has links to a murder-suicide in the 1970s.
For less experienced hikers, the guide also includes a chapter on equipment and safety, detailed instructions on how to program a hand-held Global Positioning System receiver, and a glossary of terms.
Both a practical guide and a creative chronicle, this book is bound to please hikers and history buffs alike.